Tuesday, March 07, 2006

My New Conundrum

The more i read about this Barry Bonds thing and the new book, the more I cannot shake the feeling that I am in someway suffering a huge case of denial about Lance Armstrong and what he did to win the Tour de France. I mean I am a fan of Lance, but isn't there the same type of paper trail and even a drug test that demonstrates that Lance cheated in order to win atleast his earliest tours? How do I totally believe that one did and yet ignore the facts when it comes to the other? I guess it has to do with the personalities involved with Lance being the survivor and Barry Bonds being a huge piece of shit. But at the same time, I feel like a hypocrite because I am simply choosing to ignore or even to consider the questions relating to their honesty about cheating from one but blindly proceeding on my ultimate path to crucify the other in my final act of ultimate condemnation. And sadly deep down, I think that they both probably cheated and no matter how much I would truly like to believe that my favorite athletes could do no wrong, I have to face the fact that deep down they are flawed like the rest of us. Actually probably more than the rest of us because their successes and failures are judged on a dailly basis by their performances under the pressure of the public eye. As such, I would guess that most would feel like they needed to stop at nothing in order to be successful. While weirdly I totally understand that feeling on an adult level, something deep down still feels that just like when Clemens and Boggs left the Red Sox I am heart broken as my idyllic view of sports and the athletes who play them is further shattered. Actually I think now they are simply grinding the god damn glass into the carpet.

2 comments:

paige said...

Conundrum -- good word, one of my favorites.

Greg Tito said...

I hate *Bonds. But the fact is that probably more MLB players juiced up than the mind can comfortably conceive. I'll bet money that Nomar was a juicer, or that he owned a juicer, or that Mia Hamm is a juicy bitch. At least two of those statements is true.