Tuesday, March 28, 2006

This is going to suck...

Before I post a real post later this evening, I figured that I would cheat a little bit in terms of something that you actually want to read and provide a little self progress report i.e. a quick update on my training for the big marathon in Burlington, VT in May. (I am also doing this because Mr. S. emailed me asking about the traing and that reminded me that I have not said a word about it in a month. For those that don't know, Mr. S. doored me about three years ago in a 10k and I secretly vowed to make sure that I was always in shape to run any race that he was in just so that he did not woop my ass again. Not that I am ashamed that he beat me, but I am ashamed that I talked a big game before and then had it handed to me for 10 kilometers.)

ANWAY, I now sit about 9 weeks or less off from the big dance and from what I can tell this is truly going to be a tough goal in qualifying for Boston. Although I never doubted that it would be, I also never really appreciated exactly what i am going to have to do in order to toe the line in April of 2007 up in Beantown as a qualifier. I mean I have to run really really fast.

Now, to some of you out there right now, you may be saying to yourself or outloud at the computer, "No shit man... it's a marathon that you are trying to run at 7:15 mile pace... and that just sounds impossible..." OR others of you are saying, "You are a crazy fucker and we want you to die." Now, I am not sure where that second perspective works into this whole puzzle, but I agree with the sentiment that I should have previously appreciated the true magnititude of what I was getting myself into before I started this whole training program. But the thing was that I trained for a marathon before and that in all honesty was not that bad. Now, however, with a track workout and a long run each week that has to be fast, training has started to really open my eyes to what I am going to take on in a few months. All I know is that no matter what I am going to be in serious pain and may go to the hospital by the end of it. So I have that to look forward to...

As for the training, I have run a couple of 16+ mile runs with one that I averaged 7:30 per mile, which I was mildly impressed with although it caused me the fear that I wrote about in the paragraph above. I have been basically laying fire to the track each time I step on it. As a result, even though though I may have some trepidation about what I have gotten myself into, qualifying for this bad boy may be in my proverbial wheelhouse...as long as I keep running... and running... and RUNNING...

of course the reality is...

It's still gonna suck.

No comments: