Friday, June 17, 2005

Another to My List

So I don't know if you read about this guy, but apparently on Tuesday in Chicago a performance artist renacted the images of business people falling from buildings during 9/11 by jumping over thirty times from the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Art. Now, while I have many problems with this whole project, I understand that he is free to express himself and how 9/11 made him feel so even if I don't agree with him, I will not attack him here.

What really bothered me about this whole performance was the quote that I read from an apparent onlooker:

"It was fabulous," said Darlene Schuff, 56. "I just wanted to be a part of it. It's a happening."

Now, I will concede that I do not understand alot of art that is out there. But I am fairly educated, and even still, this quote BLOWS MY FUCKEN MIND... I mean ok maybe what he was doing in her eyes was fabulous... cause I guess renacting people falling from buildings to their deaths is fabulous... I guess... And I can understand someone wanting to be a part of something, I mean I always wanted to be part of organized sports and now that I am not I want to be part of that again. I mean we all like friends. And yes, I also guess that this would be happening... I mean how often do you get to watch a guy pretend to be someone who died on 9/11 but simply does not have the balls to go the whole way so he uses a cable and then repeats this action 30 times.

No wait, none of that is true because that quote does not even make sense in the context of what the artist intended to convey with this piece. From his own words, this was a cathartic way for him to deal with the strong emotions that 9/11 created inside of him. By extension, this was not an act of joy rather it was a way of dealing with inspired pain.

However, this woman did not get the memo on what he was trying to do here. Instead, she and most likely her artsy friends decided that this HAPPENING was a fabulous experience that she needed to be a part of. (her words not mine) Now, I was not in New York City on 9/11 but I know people that were and pretty much the overwhelming tone that I get from these individuals is that in NO WAY, SHAPE, or FORM was this any type of event that anyone wanted to be a part of nor was it fabulous. I am also fairly certain that none of those words were ever used by any onlooker who watched men and women leaping from the Twin Towers to their deaths.

Granted, what happened in Chicago was a performance piece, and it is possible that this woman is a fan of the artist. Clearly, this is the rational explanation for her quote, but even still, why would you say something so idiotic. I mean even if she is a fan of the artist, I am sure there was a better way to articulate what she was feeling at that moment instead of sounding like a drunk socialite who has nothing better to do than spend weekends at the club and weekdays attending these types of events that she needs to be a part of...

Actually that is probably exactly who this person is... and now, she is on the list.

2 comments:

Greg Tito said...

On the list!

Greg Tito said...

Bring it on, man. It's been over a week with no blogging. Get on the horse, it's friday and you should be skipping work by writing inane things on the internet.