Monday, January 30, 2006

One Week in the Tank

So the training program has officially started, and I am happy to report that after the first week, I am easily in better shape both physically and mentally than I was when I ran the New Jersey Marathon back in April of 2005. I mean last week I absolutely crushed each of my runs as I cleared 30 miles for the week. These runs included a great 11 miler that I did back home in the Nutmeg State. Actually, I think that the run back home was fast mainly because it was run almost exclusively along Long Island Sound.. I love me some water... and it definitely beats running through the streets of Brooklyn and the odors that I constantly encounter. Not that they are bad, but they are pungent and sting the nostrils...

Of course, none of my early success would be possible if the weather was not cooperating like it has this winter. Now, I don't know if the recent weather is the result of the excessive use of AquaNet during the 80's, a sign that the apocalypse is upon us, El Nino, or simply a run of really great luck with this weather. Whatever the cause, it has made what would be a terrible winter of training into an enjoyable experience. Last winter, I distinctly remember days where I would go out, run, and with every step, all I could feel were the icicles that were forming in my lungs. Now, compare that to this winter, where I can count on my fingers, the times that I have had to run with my long pants on as I have been out there pounding the pavement for the majority of the winter. Hopefully, this weather will sustain its warmer pattern, and I hope that I did not just jinx everything. If I did, I apologize, and please feel free to send me tuperware containers containing your shit, you vengeful sons of bitches...

So for now that is all I got. Nothing really interesting, funny, or even thought provoking.. instead I am simply a man, who is running like I mugged someone in hopes that I will qualify to stand on that line in Boston on Patriots' Day 2007.

And now, back to Jack Bauer and his horrible horrible day.

3 comments:

paige said...

Yeah, if you killed my good running weather, I will come after you. I may be small, but I'm crafty. Seriously, this is a great post.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the training and I'll be checking up on your progress regularly. Which marathon are you training for, the same one you did last year?

Greg Tito said...

Run, Rabbit, Run!