Wednesday, May 04, 2005

And I LOVE deeper

Country music is an evil evil word in the "eastern" culture's rolodex of accepted music. But to me, I have found an almost unexplainable love of this genre. I was first introduced to a pure fan of country through law school in my buddy, Shaun, who it seems at some point while he was a student at The College of the Holy Cross caught a case of the country and never was able to quite shake himself of this illness. As a result, he began to spread his illness to the masses or atleast the population at my law school. Fortunately for me, I was able to avoid this disease by inundating myself with a lot overly produced and relatively juvenile selection of pop punk bands.

To my dismay, however, after I graduated, I began to listen to something other than the crap that I infested my soul with while trying to figure out the Federal Tax Code and came to realize that country today in many ways is just the classic rock music that I heard on a daily basis on 104.3. I think in alot of ways, country music is a pure form of just making music and just trying to rock and as a result, I believe that a lot of country artists have capitalized on this factor and become quite successful. Thus country today in many ways has become the ZZ Top or Charlie Daniels(and yes I know he was country) band of the old.... So now I find myself flipping around on Sirius and tapping my foot to some country song that I may not even know the artist but that I still find to contain a little bit of rock n' roll...

And yes, I am prepared to be judged.

3 comments:

Greg Tito said...

Country is lame. Can't say much more about it than that.

No, I guess, some country music might not be awful but the general romanticism of the country bumpkin with a pickup truck and cowboy boots just rubs me the wrong way. Makes me think of the posturing of George Bush. And that is bad.

Rain Delay said...

Who thinks jingle gets a little chub every time he writes about GWB?

Greg Tito said...

I have big huge one right now in fact... Unnnnh. Gahahaha. Never mind, just took care of that.