Friday, May 20, 2005

Rational Irrational Hatred

This topic arose the other day through a group of e-mails with my friends from law school regarding who or what in life evokes irrational hatred. These are the types of people, events, or situations that cause your blood to boil even though your logic behind these feelings may be a bit thin. Everyone has them and now I will just admit one and discuss the actor/comedien that I have an rational irrational hatred for... JIMMY FALLON...

First, I will admit that I am a fan of Saturday Night Live. (Please do not stop reading my blog because of that statement.) I grew up watching SNL. When I was little, my parents would tape it every week, and then on Sunday evening, we would watch the previous night's episode during dinner time. (Yes, instead of Andy Rooney, I grew up on Bad Idea Jeans and Schlitz Gay commercials and thus, I am out of my fucken mind.) Anyway, I have continued to watch it through the years... Even this season that has SUCKED, I have probably seen all but two of this season's episodes... My favorite casts in recent years are those featuring Will Ferrell, mainly because I love the fact that in every skit he was in, he would go out there and sell that character or the joke even if he realized it was awfully written or that it was truly not funny... Moreover, he would remain in character through the entire skit and rarely broke character by laughing even when the skit was almost unbearably hilarious.

Jimmy Fallon, on the other hand, is the anti-Ferrell. Whether it be on Weekend Update or while involved in sketches, Jimmy could not remain in character if his life depended on it. As a result, you could always count on Fallon to blow a line or simply breakdown and laugh... And the worst part about it is that Fallon never even tried to control his breaking of character...

I mean there are times throughout the show's history where truly funny moments have seen the actors totally lose it because one of their colleagues was being so funny that it was impossible for those involved to remain in character. A perfect example of a moment like this one of the Motivational Speaker skits with Chris Farley, David Spade, and Christina Applegate... The sketch is classic because Farley is so on that by the end, Spade and Applegate are screening their faces from the view of the camera because they have completely lost it. To me, this type of reaction enhances the bit because as the viewer, you realize that not only do you find the joke funny but the actors who have probably rehearsed the scene numerous times, find it just as funny if not funnier...

But with Fallon, the viewer never got the feeling that he found things to be so funny that he could no longer control himself. Rather, his performances simply broke down with Fallon employing that nervous laugh-talk shtick that he uses whenever he is trying to be a comedian...AND as time has progressed, Fallon has employed this device in everything that he does where a camera is shining in his face whether it be movies or interviews, you can always count on Jimmy to break into nervous laughter at the most inappropriate times...I mean Fallon could be asked about this year's Tsunami and I guarantee that he would first attempt to supply a serious answer but in the end, would break down in nervous laughter...

And I can't fucken stand it... I hate the fact that he has a career that is basically based upon this nervous laugh... I mean how is this funny.... how is it creative that someone instead of actually trying to be a real actor or comedian simply inserts that pathetic nervous laugh and suddenly we are expected to accept that as comedy... I mean are you fucken kidding me... It is a shame that the true comedians that have rose through the ranks of Saturday Night Live have had to share the stage with this comedic hack... and it's even sadder that it appears that Hollywood has apparently bought into this gimic, hook, line, and sinker as now Fallon appears to be landing major film roles... I mean am I blind... AM I THE ONLY ONE ON FUCKEN CRAZY PILLS HERE... How is a nervous laugh instead of selling your soul to deliver a punch line like Ferrell and Farley do and did, make you a comedic talent? It doesn't plain and simple... what it does, is make Fallon the luckiest NO TALENT ASS CLOWN on the face of the Earth...

And for this, I hate him...

By the way, I am getting paid for this... not because I scored a book deal or a writing contract for my blog. But I am sitting at work right now while I write.. and as a result, by extension, i just got paid for that horse shit above.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Fallon seemed to break himself up nearly every week--and with lame material to boot. That's not comedy.

And I know comedy.