Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Adventure continues...

And so like most things lately, my plans to actually write more on this blog fall to the wayside because I find myself involved with other plans and adventures. Ironically, the reason I have failed to continue to write about the most recent roadtrip to VA Beach is because this past weekend through this afternoon, I found myself in Connecticut for Easter weekend and then finally in Boston to enjoy the Red Sox, Patriot's Day, and the Boston Marathon.

I am happy to report, however, that finally after three days of fluctuating between drunk to sober and then sober to drunk, I have found some time to continue this little yarn because I am currently traveling back to the Big Apple on a Greyhound, which should take about four and half hours. Further, as luck would have it, I am seated directly in front of the urinal, which has been in constant use since we left Boston's South Station. Unfortunately, it appears that some members of our little adventure have not adhered to the unspoken rule of the road that we only utilize the facility for the purposes of urination and not to drop the kids off at the pool. As such, I am going to use the time to avoid thinking about the smell of all smells coming out of the lavatory.

With that being said, I now continue the adventure of Bob Jingle, the Dirty Diz, the Faithful Steed, E "mother fucken" T, and myself, who at the time of my last entry found themselves still thinking about leaving for points south but had yet to do anything about it.

LEG ONE: A LITTLE HOP TO THE DC AREA:














April 7, 2006: 6:30 PM-- Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York: We are currently attempting to leave New York after a brief delay for all parties to return home from work. The dashboard incense is burning, and the car is already squeaking. From the sounds of our faithful steed, we may not even make it three miles before this baby dies.

As we depart from Diz's apartment, we find ourselves immediately at a red light. I wonder if this is sign of things to come and whether or not, we will make it to DC by midnight or find ourselves sleeping at a rest stop at some point north of there. Diz lightens up the mood for all parties involves by commenting:

"I don't know what you do with a Hummer." as we pass an H3 leaving the Burg. Neither do we, Diz, neither do we.

6:39 PM: Currently in our first real batch of bumper to bumper traffic on the BQE, which is not a good sign at this early point in our journey. Meanwhile, Bob Jingle informs us that the reason that the faithful steed is currently making that noise is because of something to do with the rotors. While I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, I do not believe that this is a good sign for anyone involved. (Note: While writing this entry the young girl sitting next to me on the bus is currently sleeping but doing the weird head nodding thing on my shoulder.... Go Greyhound!!!!)



7:03 PM: After continuing our early bout with New York City traffic, the decision is made to blow this popsicle stand by taking the Holland Tunnel instead of our anticipated path of travel via Staten Island. This tactical decision may pay dividends in the end but only the open road and time will tell.

7:31 PM: The Holland Tunnel turns into a turbo boost for the progress of our trip as we make it through Jersey City and to our first stop at a rest area. At which point, I announce: "I got to go pee and grab a burger."

9:10 PM: Delaware Memorial Bridge where I once again have to pee and decide that if I do not soon that I may kill again. As well, we all decide that EZ Pass always takes us to Happy Land.

And this is where the journal ended for the evening mainly due to darkness and the awful weather that we then experienced in the form of torrential downpours and spectacular lightning. We rolled into a little town called Rockville, MD around 11:30 PM where we rested for the evening thanks to the hospitality of a law school buddy of mine who gave us some beers, an air mattress, and couch. (And the Yankees lost, which always warms my heart.)

All and all, the first leg generally turned out to be a success as even at our leisurely pace we made it to the DC area with little problems and minimal traffic and with the hope that this would continue as we started leg two in the morning...

No comments: