Sunday, April 23, 2006

Run Runner

I figured it was just about time for another self-indulgent update in Rain Delay's quest to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The last couple of weeks have been to say it nicely, rough. I found myself running alot of miles but with very inconsistent results. Last weekend while I was back home in the Nutmeg State, I went out for my longest run to date of 18 miles and absolutely bombed. I mean from the gun, I felt that it was a complete struggle and that is never good when you have 18 miles ahead of you. Furthering make this run less than enjoyable was the reemergence of the sun and 70+ degree weather which I am not at all used to running in. Needless to say, I wilted by the end of the run finishing with a very slow time and questions about whether or not any of my training actually was paying off.

I spent the next week here in Brooklyn beating myself up over this run as I still could not just accept the fact that some days you have it and some days you simply do not. Of course, the running gods wanted to get one more stomach punch in to make me further question my decision to run another marathon by telling my shin splints that I have battled for the last four years or so to start acting up again. And so, I slogged through a couple of pedestrian runs early in the week getting angrier and angrier at myself while of course resisting the true remedy of resting.

But then I got smart and although I did not shut it down for the week, I decided to forgo my speed workout and instead simply settle for a couple of nice three mile runs just to keep things moving in preparation for a long run on Saturday. Further, I put myself on a healthy regiment of lots of water, which I always consume, icing, and Advil in order to keep the shin splints at bay.

By Friday morning although achy, I was feeling a little better and at some point, I decided that it was time to give another long run a shot just to prove to myself that I was not losing my edge. Plus, I also go the great news that Lance Armstrong will be running this year's New York City Marathon so I have my next marathon goal after I qualify for Boston, BEAT LANCE. Finally, I decided that I did not want to wait until Saturday morning where I could potentially feel like crap and instead I would knock this sucker off on Friday evening after work.

So on last night with cooler temperatures from a week ago, I took off from the 398 running over the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan. From there, I ran my usual route of down the East River Park to the Staten Island Ferry depot through Batter Park and then up the West Side Highway to Pier something. Then, I turned around and ran home. I am happy to report that I got what I wanted out of the run, a very consistent and quick pace that left me with the feeling that I had more to give for the actual marathon.

And thus that is where I am at, a little dinged up from all the mileage but with the ability to keep the injuries minor in order to give myself the best possible chance of obtaining my goal. In the next five weeks, I just stay healthy, get rest, and make sure I listen to whatever aches and pains, my body is currently exhibiting. (And yes, I wrote that simply as a reminder to myself that I need to pay attention to those things.) Next weekend, I do my one twenty miler for the training period and after that while I have the option of doing another run of that magnitude, it is pretty much all down hill from there.

We will see how it all works out in the end, but remember, you always run faster on race day...

No comments: