Monday, October 03, 2005

Man School

So I am back in Brooklyn after spending the weekend recharging back home with the rents. I had a great time in seeing my mom and dad as well as being able to head out to some of my old haunts. (Shaddy local townie bars.)

Possibly, the highlight of the weekend was the time that I spent at Man School attempting to earn my Man Badge. For those that do not know, Man School is where you go when you attempt to do some type of manual labor whether it be the fixing of a car, chopping of the wood, or any other activity that requires sweat being expended. Since I have moved to the City, Man School, basically, has been out of session because there are limited if NO opportunities to take any of its many courses.

BUT in the wild world of New England, Man School is always in session, and thus, today, I had the opportunity to re-gravel my parents' driveway by filling up a wheel-barrel with little tiny rocks and then spreading them over the entire driveway. This task was necessary because my parents are selling the house of my youth and moving to a gated community (read: Old Retirement Place of Doom). As such, they are trying to spruce the place up to increase the market value, and hence, I found myself shoveling stones today.

And you know what, I loved every minute of it. I mean as you all I know I run a ton, and thus, I have a unusual aversion to the infliction of personal pain. And as I once told a girl who I was trying to get to date me (and failed miserably at doing), I enjoy pain. Scratch that, I love pain because I think that through pain, you are able to gauge the exact amount of energy you are utilizing to complete a certain task and thus can truly calculate your productivity. PLus, there is a sick endorphin rush that comes along with pain. (I am twisted what can I say.)

As a result, today's activity made me feel like I actually accomplished something tangible. And sure, I realize that this task may seem to be mundane to some and a pain to others but at the same time, I loved it if only because it got me away from frittering my life awat in front of a computer screen practicing the law. And so I feel an immense sense of accomplishment as a result of the Man Badge in Gravel Shoveling that I earned today and you can judge me if you want but that Man Badge is mine forever.

2 comments:

Greg Tito said...

I saw Rain Delay driving a white Ford pickup around the neighborhood. If that isn't the badge to Man School, I don't know what it.

And before Bern bites your head off, you should credit her the coining of the phrase, Man School.

Rain Delay said...

Bern if you so invented this phrase, then I give you the credit that is rightfully yours.