Thursday, October 27, 2005

Intermission

While I want to bring you Part III this evening, I am slowly but surely losing steam so instead, I figured that I would bring to you my commentary on a commercial that I have seen lately and thought about during my second screening of Harold and Kumar.

The commercial is the one where the grandmother is sitting by herself in her kitchen waiting for either dinner or maybe she is waiting to be taken to the hospital to die... anway, she is clearly waiting for something... And the voice over says something to the affect of "Don't worry just tell your grandmother that you were smoking pot or getting high instead of coming over for dinner..." (for the record that is the worst paraphrase ever.)

Anyway, the gist of this PSA is that this imaginary grandchild has placed smoking weed over and above spending time with the living dead, i mean grandma. And that this has caused something horrible to happen to her. Now instead of just assuming that this was the craziest commercial ever, I actually did a quick google search on this before I started to write this entry and not surprisingly the stoners of the world, which at various points in my life, I have been a card carrying member, have commented on this commercial in only the detail that weed can invoke.

Now although many were funny, my favorite had to be the one that questioned the actually reality of this commercial in that there is not a stoner on the earth who faced with the possibility of a full on meal from grandma as the commercial depicts would have missed this meal. Instead, they would have smoked up and then headed over to grandma's house to eat the shit out of that meal. Trust me on this one, I have done it... I mean I know someone that did... But truly, this is exactly how I felt about this commercial because either the kid smoking the sticky icky would have been there chowing down, or he never would have scheduled dinner with grandma in the middle of a school week. (For those that do not know, high school kids would only schedule this meal for a Sunday afternoon.)

And in reality, is this what pot leads to, I mean from what I can recall and it is not much, I usually spend most of the times that I have smoked pot sitting on a couch playing video games, and sure I might have forgotten some plans but those plans were expendible. And really what affect does missing dinner have on grandma, I mean are we supposed to make the leap that once you fail to appear that grandma torches her house and then heads out and murders the entire town of Grandma? Well, I did a search for that story and surprisingly, I just ended up on IMDB reading over 100 reviews of B horror films that were all made in Kansas.

So I guess until the point comes when grandma ends up going on that statewide killing spree due to the bastard grandkid smoking a joint, we can all ignore this commercial. And maybe those that made it, can focus on how if you are on a high school budget with a weed problem that pretty much is all the money you have or how the walk from your couch to the kitchen when stoned is actually the pot world equivalent of running a marathon.

Sorry grandma.

1 comment:

Greg Tito said...

All of these commercials are pretty ridiculous. I especially like (hate) the one where the teen forgets to pick up his litle brother because he was getting high. The genius of these crappy PSAs is that they make you believe that if you stop smoking pot, you'll magically be on time for the rest of your life. As if all of the lateness in the world is caused by marijuana. It's pretty stupid really. "Stop smoking pot and you'll never be tardy again!"

Never mind the millions who would forget to pick up their little brother because he was a little bratty kid who whines to your mom about his big brother's drug habit. Screw him, he can wait at the baseball field for another foty minutes while I get stoned and get a blowjob from this weed whore who wants a bag.