Monday, February 12, 2007

A Contest Between Gentlemen

As I get older, my body is slowly but surely transformed from years and years of drinking the suds from that of a former Division I athlete to that of a coach potato. As a result, articles of clothing stop fitting as favorite t-shirts seem shorter as they try to extend over my belly edging scarily towards becoming half shirts and jeans take a little more effort to put on to fit over my giant ass and legs.

Sadly, with the weight gain of aging, the motivation to start to reverse the years of imbibing tends to be lacking as results are slow to come by since my metabolism is no longer the chipper little lad of my youth. Instead, I can no longer simply think about losing weight and do it, it actually requires work, which means I have to exercise and watch what I eat. And while, I enjoy working out, the second part of that equation is the part that I kind of have a problem with since I really enjoying drinking some beers and eating good food.

And so, drastic times call for drastic measures, and that is why today, I proposed a contest, a challenge of sorts, between myself and fellow blogger, Bob Jingle, where we will have a race to be the first one to lose twenty pounds, which would put me right at my fighting weight from my first year of law school of 190 or so. Now, the details have not really been worked out.. as we have not figured out the reward although proposals like a Luger Steak or 500 dollars have been discussed. Nor have we picked a start date or hammered out any of the rules such as a rule against starving yourself in order to win.

And so maybe, this whole thing will just end up being another Monday morning lament between Bob Jingle and I about how we hate our jobs, how fat we are, and how we cannot figure out what to do with the rest of our lives... As such, even though all of this all is very preliminary at this juncture, I will be sure to keep you posted if we get closer to this challenge becoming a reality. Further if any of you out there have any ideas on rules, rewards, or ways to make this challenge a reality, please feel free to drop a comment and let me know....

1 comment:

Greg Tito said...

You neglected to mention that this whole contest was proposed over gchat, with out actually speaking to each other. That is truly a sign that we have entered the digital age.

I say we make the stakes very high, so that we have motivation for the rigors we have to put ourselves through. I've already formulated a plan in my head. Let's do it.