Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Valentine's Day Massacre



Well, it's 11 AM, and I am glad to say that I made it to work today. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of courage that it took to get out of bed this morning, throw on those shoes, and take the old subterranean way here because if you haven't heard, New York City later this afternoon is about to get hit with a MAJOR, CATASTROPHIC snow storm... the type of storm that may cripple this thriving metropolis... with its projected 2-4 inches of possible accumulation.

Yes, you read that correct as last night every news station in New York City lead with a story about the threat of the coming major storm that at its most recent projections is going to drop 2-4 inches of snow on the City. No, this storm is not going to drop 10-12 feet like the eight days of snow did in Upstate New York nor is it going to even drop a foot. Instead, the media has invoked its Storm of the Century 24 hour coverage for something that back in the day would not even have been mentioned on an evening news broadcast, but now becomes the entire focus of the broadcast.

Sadly, this phenomena is not limited to the over reactive media of New York City as I have caught similarly over the top broadcasts while visiting the motherland of Connecticut. It wasn't always like this, however, as I remember the days when the weather was simply a two minute segment right before sports that on the very rarest of occassions would lead off the broadcast if a storm threatened to dump a significant amount of snow on the area or there was a friggin' hurricane about to hit. Needless to say, it appears that this type of shock forecasting is here to stay as weatherman and their complicit news stations are now engaged in a nightly game of one-ups-manship to see who can make the craziest predictions about the weather. This endless competition to be the first to call the end of mankind leaves the viewers to helplessly discern what actually will happen during a storm and at that same time plants the seed to watch this continuous coverage in case the worst possible outcome becomes a reality.

But fear not my readers, I will not leave you to rely on the maniacs to tell you what to expect in the next forty-eight horus. Instead, I will remain here at Rain Delay Storm Watch Headquarters for the remainder of the day and atleast until 5 PM to give you my faithful readers updates on the progress of the storm along with any new predictions I can find from the local media to better assist you with preparing for the apocalypse.

1 comment:

Greg Tito said...

Storm of the Century = 1 in. of snow and some sleet.

They say it might get worse today, but I'm not holding my breath. I mean, I am holding my breath but that's just because I'm trying to get rid of my hiccups.